A few years ago, my family, my brother and his family and I used to frequent a small restaurant quiet close to the Khimji Ramdas head office. I know for a fact that it still exists there. But for the last couple of years none of us have actually gone back to this place. Parking used to be and still is a big issue in and around this area.
But that was not one of the main reasons why we have not been to this place for the last few years. Vasu is probably why we have not gone to this place. He used to be everything as far this place used to be concerned. He used to help in the kitchen, take orders from people, serve them and also look after the cash desk. He was always jovial, loved and adored small kids and always had time to talk to all the customers in the restaurant.
He was very generous and never used to get ruffled if a customer used to complain about the late service. It did not matter who came and ordered what. At least for the people who were regular to this place, he would always give us something extra in small katori - taste karke dekho he would always say.
When we used to go, he would first give us a small katori of hot rasam. It always used to taste yummmmm. To my kids he would always give them a small plate of small idlies with a little tooth pick. The kids would always pick the small idly with this toothpick and show him, saying uncle see this.. and would just gulp the little idly into their mouth.
When my son was small, Vasu would carry him into the kitchen. I never used to ask what they would do there or what they would be speaking either! My son would always, 9 out 10 times, come out with a little vada in his hand!
Occasionally he would give me or my wife a miss call. We always knew why he had called. If we called him back, Vasu would say, bahut din hogaya tha appko mil kar. Aajao is tharf, ek special bannake raka hoon. On my way back from the office, I would stop over at this restaurant to collect this special package. Many times, I would go home pick my family and go over to this place to eat a hot meal.
Vasu had always one worry - that he was getting older by the day and that he was not getting any girl from this side of town in India to get married too. He used to say that I would one day go back to India and settle down there.
Like he said, he left for India a few years ago. I learnt that he had got married and had indeed settled down in the state of Karnataka.
A few months ago, I bumped into Vasu's old boss and inquired how Vasu was doing. He told me that he was ok and was keeping very well.
I have always wondered hence, if I would ever be able to meet Vasu some time or whether he would come back to Muscat?! I have very fond memories of this man who always used to smile. I do wish him the best where ever he is and would keep a wish/prayer to meet him some time some where!

But that was not one of the main reasons why we have not been to this place for the last few years. Vasu is probably why we have not gone to this place. He used to be everything as far this place used to be concerned. He used to help in the kitchen, take orders from people, serve them and also look after the cash desk. He was always jovial, loved and adored small kids and always had time to talk to all the customers in the restaurant.
He was very generous and never used to get ruffled if a customer used to complain about the late service. It did not matter who came and ordered what. At least for the people who were regular to this place, he would always give us something extra in small katori - taste karke dekho he would always say.
When we used to go, he would first give us a small katori of hot rasam. It always used to taste yummmmm. To my kids he would always give them a small plate of small idlies with a little tooth pick. The kids would always pick the small idly with this toothpick and show him, saying uncle see this.. and would just gulp the little idly into their mouth.
When my son was small, Vasu would carry him into the kitchen. I never used to ask what they would do there or what they would be speaking either! My son would always, 9 out 10 times, come out with a little vada in his hand!
Occasionally he would give me or my wife a miss call. We always knew why he had called. If we called him back, Vasu would say, bahut din hogaya tha appko mil kar. Aajao is tharf, ek special bannake raka hoon. On my way back from the office, I would stop over at this restaurant to collect this special package. Many times, I would go home pick my family and go over to this place to eat a hot meal.
Vasu had always one worry - that he was getting older by the day and that he was not getting any girl from this side of town in India to get married too. He used to say that I would one day go back to India and settle down there.
Like he said, he left for India a few years ago. I learnt that he had got married and had indeed settled down in the state of Karnataka.
A few months ago, I bumped into Vasu's old boss and inquired how Vasu was doing. He told me that he was ok and was keeping very well.
I have always wondered hence, if I would ever be able to meet Vasu some time or whether he would come back to Muscat?! I have very fond memories of this man who always used to smile. I do wish him the best where ever he is and would keep a wish/prayer to meet him some time some where!
3 comments:
Good to know about Vasu. The boss must be missing him too. Some people really touch our lives in a way of their own.
Good..such persons smiling and serving all with a pure heart are becoming extinct..let us have more of your musings and reminiscences..ACHAN
Really nice... I lived all those words... Nicely put..
Post a Comment